Saturday, January 19, 2013

Feature Flamingo, and the ART of Powerful Polar Bears

My firsties discovered a new reading strategy this week thanks to our new friend Feature Flamingo. Our first grade Critter Cafe has "hired" Feature Flamingo to help us better understand text features when reading informational texts.  She brought some awesome Arctic non-fiction with her and is demonstrating how to search for some interesting features!  Take a look!




Jen Jones over at Hello Literacy provided this great notebook for students to record specific text features.
You can grab a copy here.
This is the inside of our Weekly Readers!  Perfect fit for our Glossary discussion!
No unit on Polar Bears would be complete without a fabulous Art Project to go with it!  I hit the jackpot and came across the most PERFECT Polar Bear art EVER!  ARTventurous has all the directions and how-to's for this project so I will have you stop over to her blog
and read more about her creative genius with polar bears!














I also found this GEM of a science project over at
 We ran over on the art so we are doing this experiment next week!
The kids were devastated, because they love all things SCIENCE
and I have about 6 who want to be scientists when they grow up!  





SO grateful for this long weekend!
Stay warm my friends, it's a chilly 29 degrees here in Toledo Ohio!
xoxo,
Julie

13 comments:

  1. Your polar bears turned out amazing! I especially love the really big one that takes up almost the entire page. Too cute!
    Roze
    ARTventurous.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bears are awfully cute. I love their personalities.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute polar bears!! It is cold here too..."feels like" -10!! Brr!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo hoo, we don't get a 3 day weekend - but my hubby does :)
    Those polar bears are sure cute!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Thanks for the link to the art site - she has a lot of great ideas! And I enjoy doing art with my kiddos
      Sara (again)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, I love the polar bears! What a great art project.

    Danielle
    Carolina Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feature Flamingo is wonderful. Love him/her. And everyone above is correct--the polar bears are gorgeous! Enjoy your day tomorrow. I will be at work with my kiddos. No day off for me.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the polar bears! I might try to incorporate this next week :)
    ~Christy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you did the polar bears. That's really effective having the chalk over the black paper.
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Julie!

    I LOVE the idea for using the Beanie Babies as "instructional assistants." It probably gets your kids really engaged! I have a room full of kiddos that would love the idea of proving to the stuffed animals that they learned something. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. It was good to "meet" you. :) We will definitely have to see what kinds of great ideas we can share with each other. :)

    -Carrie
    Floating Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Julie,

    What a great post! I really love the idea of the reference card for text features that you show with the Weekly Reader. What a great focusing tool!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie,
    So stealing/borrowing LOL your polar bear art idea. How cute are they?!? Love them!
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover